Go to the U of M home page
School of Physics & Astronomy
School of Physics and Astronomy Wiki

User Tools


Computing and Networking for Visitors

Short-term visitors

If you have short term visitors who be using their own laptop and simply need access to the wireless network, please consult our page on wireless guest access. There are several options depending on their needs, and the length of their stay.

Long-term visitors

This category includes people who are here for longer periods, including (for example) visiting scholars, or members of the REU and RET programs.

They need to be set up with a sponsored x.500 account with associated Active Directory account in order to

  • use the secure wireless network
  • log into any physics workstation - please make sure you check the “Active Directory” box when requesting their sponsored account
  • They may or may not need a U card, for access to keycard-operated areas or other activities.

Any faculty or staff can request the sponsored account and/or U card, at https://www.umn.edu/dirtools/sponsor (you need to provide an EFS account)

Research collaborators

This category includes people who may never come to Minnesota but have a research relationship which may require use of Physics computing facilities (usually linux-based).

A sponsored or POI account at the University is needed for access to SPA Linux workstations and servers. Note, the request must come from faculty in the department and not direct from the visitor!

We need to know:

  • Name
  • Email address
  • Which faculty are they collaborating with?
computing/general/visitorinfo.txt · Last modified: 2021/01/28 08:58 by cse-sull0153