Go to the U of M home page
School of Physics & Astronomy
School of Physics and Astronomy Wiki

User Tools


Solving Personal Problems and Grievances

If you have a problem with a faculty or staff member, another student, or a personal problem, the following information may be useful.

Personal problems

Here are some places to start:

  • UCCS (University Consulting and counseling Service)
    This service handles personal as well as interpersonal problems including study skills, thesis writing support groups and dealing with difficult teachers and advisers.
  • Disability Services
    This is a resource for current and prospective students with physical and mental disabilities. They handle screening and official documentation of disabilities as well as help with classroom and program modifications.
  • Boynton Mental Health Clinic
    This clinic will help with urgent personal problems such as anxiety or depression.

Interpersonal Problems and Grievances

Departmental Resources

University Resources

Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC)

Ombudsman (SCRC)
Jane Morse (Director)
(612) 624-7272
Minneapolis: 254 Appleby Hall (East Bank)

The Student Conflict Resolution Center assists students in resolving campus-based problems and concerns through coaching, intervention and mediation by Ombudsman and Advocacy staff. They can help you bring a formal grievance as well as help resolve a problem before it reaches the formal grievance stage. They also have advice for organizing effective research teams for conflict-avoidance.

University Counseling and Consulting Services (UCCS)

Minneapolis: 340 Appleby Hall (East Bank)
St. Paul: 199 Coffey Hall

This service offers counseling, consultation, instruction, and testing services to the Minnesota educational community. Services include individual, career and personal counseling and Student Academic Success Services.

Office for Conflict Resolution (OCR)

Minneapolis: 662 Heller Hall (West Bank)
(612) 624-1030

This office offers four informal options: consultation, ombuds services, facilitated dialogue, and mediation with a neutral third party.

Formal Grievance Resources

dgs_advice/problems.txt · Last modified: 2014/06/06 08:31 by abby